Archived course - Course not available
“All Illness begins in the Gut”
Date: Saturday 26th November 2016
Time: 10.00am – 4.30pm (enrolment from 9.30am to 10am sharp)
Dr Aileen O’Kane, MD
Chronic inflammatory disease, autoimmunity and the gut connection
Dr. Aileen O’Kane practised conventional medicine from the early 70s to mid-90s. Through a personal illness in the early 90s she became very aware of the body/spirit/mind connection and subsequently studied many aspects of holistic health. For the last 15 years she has been practising Holistic Medicine – Ayurveda, Craniosacral Therapy and Emotional Freedom Technique. In the last few years she has been looking more closely at the cutting edge research and clinical experience which links chronic inflammatory illness and the gut and in this Seminar she will share some practical aspects of this information.
More than 5,000 years ago Ayurveda, the ancient system of healing from India, taught that all illness begins in the gut. Hippocrates, the father of Modern Medicine, reiterated this belief 2,000 years ago. When did modern medicine forget this profound truth? Happily today modern scientific research has ample evidence that supports this belief.
Chronic Inflammatory Illnesses like diabetes, arthritis, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, irritable bowel, psoriasis and eczema, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, obesity, heart disease etc. are rampant in our modern society. Could all of these be linked to what is going on in our gut? The answer is yes.
In this seminar we will look at:-
- inflammation, chronic inflammation, immunity and autoimmunity;
- the bacteria in our gut (our microbiome) and how they comprise 90% of the cells in our bodies…yes… and 70% of our immune system;
- factors that disturb the balance of these bacteria and how this contributes towards illness;
- the scandal of the many myths about nutrition that the food industry – and
consequently nutritionists and medical authorities – have been feeding us over the last
40 years and how these have contributed to the modern inflammation epidemic;
- leaky gut. What is it? How unhealthy foods, food intolerances, toxic overload from our environment, stress and disturbance in our microbiome lead to leaky gut…and how in turn leaky gut plays its part in inflammation and ultimately, in many cases,
autoimmune diseases; and
- the gut/brain connection and changes each of us can make in our diet and life styles to prevent or reverse inflammation.