Archived course - Course not available
The Only Way is Ethics – Maintaining Best Ethical and Legal Practice for Counsellors and Psychotherapists
Date: Friday 23rd March 2018
Time: 10.00am - 4.30pm (Registration from 9.30am - 10.00am)
Dr Barbara Mitchels PhD, LL. B, FBFCP, MBACP
Note: This one-day workshop is open exclusively to professional Counsellors, Psychotherapists and Art Therapists.
Dr. Barbara Mitchels is the Director of Watershed Counselling Service, a BACP Registered Practitioner (Senior Accredited) and Fellow of BACP, with over twenty five years post qualification experience in counselling and psychotherapy, working in a wide variety of settings. She is also a Law Society accredited Family Mediator. Barbara writes widely – her books and journal papers are mainly on topics relevant to therapy and the law, ethics and best practice, mediation, confidentiality and record keeping, working with trauma and supporting vulnerable witnesses in the court processes.
In this workshop, Dr. Mitchels will address the following topics:
- outline of recent developments in ethics, law and guidance;
- introduction to the duties and responsibilities of therapy and supervision practice;
- consideration of specific situations/dilemmas;
- tort, duty of care and negligence;
- high risk situations and dilemmas;
- scenarios: ethical situations/dilemmas;
- record keeping;
- data protection;
- decision making, capacity and consent;
- best practice in making disclosures and sharing records;
Throughout the day there will be group work and plenary sessions with time for questions and discussion.